14:30 – 15:00 : Welcome
15:00 – 15:15 : Presentation of the seminar & role and initiatives on non-agricultural GIs of the Legal Affairs committee (JURI) of the European Parliament : Ms. Virginie ROZIÈRE, MEP, Committee on Legal Affairs (JURI), Rapporteur on the possible extension of the EU GI protection to non-agricultural products
15:15 – 15:30 : The next steps to be undertaken by the European Commission : Mr. Mariano FERNANDEZ SALAS and Ms. Valérie MARIE d’AVIGNEAU, Unit Intellectual Property and Fight Against Counterfeiting, DG internal market, industry, entrepreneurship and SME (DG GROWTH)
15:30 – 15:45 : Benefits of a sui generis regulation at EU level: the experience of agricultural GIs : Mr. Christian AMBLARD, General delegate, Syndicat du Pruneau d’Agen
15:45 – 16:45 : Round-table: Which strategy for EU producers of non-agricultural GIs
Introduction: Mr. Nicola DANTI, MEP, Committee Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO)
Moderator: Mr. Massimo VITTORI, Managing Director, oriGIn
– Mr. Angus CUNDEY, Savile Row Bespoke, United Kingdom
– Mr. Stefano COLLINA, Associazione Italiana Città della Ceramica (AiCC), Italy
– Mr. Ludger BENDA, Solinger Stahl- und Schneidwaren, Germany
– Mr. Pedro ARCAS MARTINEZ, Mueble de Yecla, Spain
– Ms. Lorna MACAULAY, Harris Tweed Authority, United Kingdom
– Mr. Angelo Sperzaga, Consorzio Liutai “Antonio Stradivari” Cremona, Italy
– Mr. José PULIDO GARCÍA, Piel de Ubrique, Spain
– Ms. Ana SOEIRO, QUALIFICA/oriGInPortugal, Portugal
16:45 – 17:00 : Coffee break
17:00 – 17:45 : Initiative of Junta de Andalucía in support of the extension of the GI protection to non-agricultural products at the UE level:
– Ms. Francisca PLEGUEZUELOS AGUILAR, Delegate of the Andalusian Government (Junta de Andalucía) in Brussels
– Mr. Gaspar Llanes Díaz-Salazar, General Secretary for Economy of Junta de Andalucía and President of Extenda, trade promotion agency of Andalusia
17:45 – 18:00 : Conclusions: Ms. Virginie ROZIÈRE
18:00 – 19:00 : Cocktail
Please confirm your participation by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 25th of September, specifying your family name, first name, date of birth, nationality, type of ID card and number of ID card
Couteaux de Laguiole, tapisserie d’Aubusson in France, Bohemian crystal, Scottish tartans, Carrara marble in Europe … Europe is full of products based on traditional knowledge and production methods, which are rooted in the cultural and social heritage of a given geographical area. These products are part of the knowledge and know-how of Europe, but at the moment are officially recognised only in some of the EU Member States, by virtue of a set of heterogeneous national legal tools.
Since 2014, the Junta de Andalucía and oriGIn, the worldwide network of GI groups, joined efforts to encourage the EU Commission to present a legislative initiative on non-agricultural GIs, which takes into account the specificities and needs of the sector.
Likewise, the EU Parliament is working on this issue. Ms Virginie ROZIERE, MEP (S&D) of the JURI Committee, prepared an own-initiative report to be voted in September 2015.
OBJECTIVES OF THE INITIATIVE
Discuss the possible initiatives of the European Institutions on non- agricultural GIs, in particular the Report of ComJURI of the EU Parliament;
Develop a common strategy of European non-agricultural GI groups in view of the possible adoption of an EU regulation on this subject matter;
Present the work done by Junta de Andalucía through the common platform for the extension of GI protection to non-agricultural products in the EU.